As a non-profit, The Children’s Museum depends on volunteers! We are always in need of volunteer help, so don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more!
Museum Volunteer Guidelines
All volunteers will be expected to:
- Be reliable in attendance and punctual
- Be 15 years or older
- Abide by museum policies
- Attend training required for your volunteer position
- Collaborate with staff and other volunteers
- Obtain a child abuse history clearance and criminal background check
- Be ready to have fun!
- Work experience and training
- 10% savings in the Museum Shop
- Invitation to annual volunteer recognition event
- Reference and recommendation for future employment
Pick up an application at the front desk, fill out an application online, or contact museum director Shawna Meiser and we will email one to you!
Applications are accepted at all times and will remain on file. Volunteer applicants will be interviewed and placed or positioned according to the Museum’s needs and the volunteer’s skills and interests.
Become an Exhibit Presenter
Do you love getting kids excited about learning and the world around them? At The Children’s Museum you can bring the exhibits to life by volunteering as a docent. Our docents serve as an exhibit guide or program facilitator for our young guests during group visits.
If you have a specific area of interest or expertise, we would love for you to share your knowledge with our visitors! Here are just a few of our exciting exhibit areas:
- Pennsylvania’s Native Americans/Eastern Woodlands Longhouse
- Animal Architects/ PA Greenways/ Live Turtle Exhibit
- 20th-century PA Coal Mines
- Ancient Egypt
- Immigrants’ Passage to PA
- Dental Health
- Diabetes/Healthy Eating/Exercise
- Butterfly Garden Maintenance
- Old-fashioned Classroom
- Let’s Pretend Theater
If you are knowledgeable in another area or have an idea for a specific activity or lesson, we will be happy to work with you. All new docents receive training materials and are introduced to the presentation process through a quick and easy orientation. Please fill out an interest form or contact us to learn more.